Recently Google made AdSense-Analytics integration available for my account. I only have a few days worth of data, but I am very impressed with the information so far. As I analyze the data, I am beginning to see some potential uses. If you have no idea what I am talking about, you should start with this Inside AdSense’s article: Make a date with data in Google Analytics — make sure you watch the video, which is included below.
Make More Money With AdSense, The Basics
- Clickthrough Rate (CTR) — There are several things you could do to improve clickthrough rate. This includes experimenting with:
- Ad size (e.g., Skyscraper, Leaderboard, etc.)
- Ad type (i.e., text versus image) — In general, I prefer text ads over image ads.
- Ad placement (i.e., location or locations on the page) — Based on my experience ads below the Post Title perform very well. Likewise, Skyscraper ad on the left also performs well.
- Ad format (e.g., color, border, background, etc.) — My general preference is to have title link that matches the color of links on my site, no border, and matching background color.
- $ per click (CPC) — This is mainly determined by the topic and keywords of your blog/posts.
- Traffic — In general, the more the better. However, different traffic type can have significant impact on the CTR. For example, social bookmarking traffic tends to have very low CTR. On the other hand, traffic via links from mainstream websites and traffic from organic searches tend to have much higher CTR.
Use Integration Data To Improve Your AdSense Income
Now that we have the basics covered, I want to go over two specific ideas on how to use the new data.
High CTR / High $ per click Pages
The first set of pages prime for optimization are the high CTR / high $ per click pages. You want to drive more traffic to these pages because they are money makers that just need more traffic. Here are a few ideas:
- Link to these pages from your sidebar or from your home page. For example, you can call these “Featured Articles”.
- Link to these pages when you are writing new articles.
- Link to these pages from your high traffic pages.
- Buy ads that drive traffic to these pages. This requires some tinkering since you have to figure out how to spend less on the ads than you are earning to keep some profit.
Low $ per click Pages
Another idea revolves around low $ per click pages; especially for pages with high traffic and high CTR. For these pages there are several things you could try:
- Look at the ads that appear on these pages and try blocking them. Hopefully, this will bring up the $ per click.
- Tweak the keywords to attract higher paying keywords.
- Stop showing AdSense and experiment with other types of advertisement — e.g., relevant affiliate ads, CPM ads, etc. For example, I am doing this with one of my page that has high traffic and high CTR but with $ per click that’s around 5 cents.
- Another idea is to replace AdSense with links to your other high CTR / high $ per click pages.
Anyway, this is a relatively new and you may not have statistically significant amount of data to work with. However, it’s worth exploring and sees what you could do to positively impact your earning. Here’s a good article I found on this topic: 10 Ways To Analyze AdSense Analytics To Make More Money from RobMalon.com.